<i18n dev> [9] RFR: 8171189: Deprecate ResourceBundleControlProvider for removal

Naoto Sato naoto.sato at oracle.com
Fri Jan 6 17:52:07 UTC 2017

Hi Yoshito,

On 1/6/17 6:52 AM, Yoshito Umaoka wrote:
>> i18n-dev team
>
> What is your plan for a series of LocaleServiceProvider SPIs? Is it
> possible to change the implementation of LocaleServiceProvider and
> ResourceBundleControlProvider not to use Java's extension mechanism, but
> use context class loader to look up implementation like java.nio SPI
> implementations?

LocaleServiceProvider SPIs are already modified to load implementations
from the classpath. Please take a look at the modified spec [1].

As to the said RBControlProvider, it was unfortunate that it was an
interface, not an abstract class, so it wasn't possible to check the
appropriate permission on the construction of instances. Since we could
not find any implementations (at the time of investigation, including
the original requester), we decided to deprecate the SPI.

Naoto

[1]
http://download.java.net/java/jdk9/docs/api/java/util/spi/LocaleServiceProvider.html