<i18n dev> [9] RFR: 8171189: Deprecate ResourceBundleControlProvider for removal

Yoshito Umaoka y.umaoka at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 20:24:25 UTC 2017

On 1/6/2017 12:52 PM, Naoto Sato wrote:
> Hi Yoshito,
>
> On 1/6/17 6:52 AM, Yoshito Umaoka wrote:
>>> i18n-dev team
>>
>> What is your plan for a series of LocaleServiceProvider SPIs? Is it
>> possible to change the implementation of LocaleServiceProvider and
>> ResourceBundleControlProvider not to use Java's extension mechanism, but
>> use context class loader to look up implementation like java.nio SPI
>> implementations?
>
> LocaleServiceProvider SPIs are already modified to load
> implementations from the classpath. Please take a look at the modified
> spec [1].
>
> As to the said RBControlProvider, it was unfortunate that it was an
> interface, not an abstract class, so it wasn't possible to check the
> appropriate permission on the construction of instances. Since we
> could not find any implementations (at the time of investigation,
> including the original requester), we decided to deprecate the SPI.
>
> Naoto
>
> [1]
> http://download.java.net/java/jdk9/docs/api/java/util/spi/LocaleServiceProvider.html

Naoto,

OK - it's a good news that LocaleServiceProvider SPIs were already
updated and continue to work from the classpath. Thanks.

I'm still seeking for a solution replacing the feature provided by
ResourceBundleControlProvider. I'm fine to use classpath, but want to
use a custom ResourceBundleControl at runtime by default. Do you have
any suggestions? I'll also investigate this a little bit on our side.

-Yoshito