<i18n dev> CLDR Irish time zone name

Martin Buchholz martinrb at google.com
Tue Feb 13 23:25:41 UTC 2018

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 3:02 PM, Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne at joda.org>
wrote:

> In the short term, I don't think CLDR should change its data, nor do I
> think OpenJDK should change. ie. for Ireland, standard=winter and
> daylight=summer should continue to be true in both projects.

I agree

> If TZDB insists on continuing with the change, the TZDB compiler in
> OpenJDK will have to be changed. I've managed to make a change (hack)
> to the compiler in Joda-Time, so a solution should be possible to some
> degree in OpenJDK too.
> https://github.com/JodaOrg/joda-time/commit/c5c681c91c74a508e67911e0af4980
> 846d676ba2

I was thinking about how to "reverse the polarity".  The advantage of a
source transformation is that the code can be shared among all downstream
tzdata consumers.  The advantage of building it into the "compiler" is
defense against the maintainer/user mistake of simply overwriting the
tzdata files.