<i18n dev> RFR: 8289220: Locale.forLanguageTag throws NPE due to soft ref used in locale cache being cleared [v3]

SUN Guoyun duke at openjdk.org
Mon Jun 5 09:39:10 UTC 2023

On Thu, 1 Jun 2023 08:58:23 GMT, SUN Guoyun <duke at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> command: make test CONF=fastdebug JTREG="VM_OPTIONS=-Xcomp" TEST=gc/TestAllocHumongousFragment.java
>> error info:
>>
>> Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "sun.util.locale.BaseLocale.getVariant()" because "base" is null
>> at java.base/java.util.Locale.forLanguageTag(Locale.java:1802)
>> at java.base/sun.util.cldr.CLDRBaseLocaleDataMetaInfo.<clinit>(CLDRBaseLocaleDataMetaInfo.java:41)
>> ... 24 more
>>
>> Note that the test runs with -XX:ShenandoahGCHeuristics=aggressive -XX:+ShenandoahOOMDuringEvacALot and SoftReferences are involved (LocaleObjectCache uses SoftReferences, used by printf method called in getRandomInstance(Utils.java:511)).
>>
>> Maybe we have to deal with the case where the getBaseLocale() return value is null. the call stack is:
>>
>> 	at java.base/sun.util.locale.LocaleObjectCache.get(LocaleObjectCache.java:64)
>> 	at java.base/sun.util.locale.BaseLocale.getInstance(BaseLocale.java:169)
>> 	at java.base/sun.util.locale.InternalLocaleBuilder.getBaseLocale(InternalLocaleBuilder.java:524)
>> 	at java.base/java.util.Locale.forLanguageTag(Locale.java:1874)
>>
>> in LocaleObjectCache.java:64
>>
>> 	 62             if (key == null || newVal == null) {
>> 	 63                 // subclass must return non-null key/value object
>> 	 64                 return null; // run here
>> 	 65             }
>
> SUN Guoyun has refreshed the contents of this pull request, and previous commits have been removed. The incremental views will show differences compared to the previous content of the PR. The pull request contains one new commit since the last revision:
>
>   8289220: Locale.forLanguageTag throws NPE due to soft ref used in locale cache being cleared

Existing JMH Local test results be tested on LOONGARCH64 show no performance fallback.
<pre><code class="shell">
// parent
Benchmark                         Mode  Cnt   Score   Error  Units
LocaleDefaults.getDefault         avgt    3  35.731 ± 0.805  ns/op
LocaleDefaults.getDefaultDisplay  avgt    3  36.099 ± 1.037  ns/op
LocaleDefaults.getDefaultFormat   avgt    3  36.123 ± 1.718  ns/op

// current
Benchmark                         Mode  Cnt   Score   Error  Units
LocaleDefaults.getDefault         avgt    3  35.649 ± 0.264  ns/op
LocaleDefaults.getDefaultDisplay  avgt    3  36.141 ± 1.283  ns/op
LocaleDefaults.getDefaultFormat   avgt    3  36.092 ± 1.371  ns/op

</code></pre>