Proposed implementation of JEP 182 in JDK 11: drop javac support for -source/-target/--release 6

joe darcy joe.darcy at oracle.com
Fri May 11 05:21:22 UTC 2018

Hi Fridrich,

Thanks for the feedback.

FYI, in case you are not already aware of the option, I recommend using
"javac --release N" for your builds directly or indirectly in preference
to "javac -source N -target N". The major difference is that --release N
restricts the API on the bootclasspath (or module equivalent) to the API
from JDK N, reducing the need to use 3rd party tools like Animal Sniffer
to monitor API usage.

The --release option to javac is available in JDK 9 and later.

HTH,

-Joe