Proposed implementation of JEP 182 in JDK 11: drop javac support for -source/-target/--release 6

Emmanuel Bourg ebourg at apache.org
Fri May 11 22:02:56 UTC 2018

Le 11/05/2018 à 06:02, Fridrich Strba a écrit :
> Not like I have anything to add to Stephen's opinion. Just give you a
> context about what we do in SUSE. For the while, our SUSE Linux
> Enterprise 15 will be released before OpenJDK 11 and we will have to
> make the OpenJDK 11 the default Java as a maintenance update. All our
> packages that don't use any 7+ features are built using source 6 and
> target 6. Changing that at this point of the release cycle would be
> quite error prone, not considering that we speak about hundreds of
> packages. So, I would be thankful to the Java luminaries not to do this
> change in 11.

We are facing the same issue in Debian/Ubuntu where we maintain ~1300
Java based packages. We opted to patch Ant [1] and Maven [2]
(plexus-compiler actually) to automatically bump the source/target level
to the minimum supported by the current JDK. This covers about 80% of
the packages maintained. The remaining 20% are fixed manually, one by
one. So far the Java 9/10/11 transition has led us to update ~300
packages, and unfortunately we are far from being done yet [3][4].

Emmanuel Bourg

[1]
https://salsa.debian.org/java-team/ant/blob/master/debian/patches/0013-auto-adjust-target.patch
[2]