Announcing the Renaissance benchmark suite

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Mon May 13 07:43:35 UTC 2019

On 09/05/2019 19:04, Francois Farquet wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> The suite has been developed and tested under JDK8 and full support of
> JDK11 is planned for the 1.0.0 release.
> Regarding the latest JDK and ea versions, we’ll do our best to test it
> regularly but if the Java Product Group at Oracle could regularly
> check its compatibility and performance, that would be great.

 From what I can tell, none of the apache-spark benchmarks will run with
with any recent feature releases. They all fall over with HADOOP-14586
in code that is parsing the value of "java.version" property. The
database benches seems to have issues too, seems to be code in one of
Chronicle libraries trying to hack java.lang.reflect.AccessibleObject
privates. Are you, or others, working with these projects to get fixes
or versions that run on more recent releases, maybe as part of the
effort to get it to run on JDK 11 builds?

I'm only asking because most of the activity in OpenJDK is the main
line, currently targeting JDK 13, and in the project repos that are
developing features that will eventually go into the main line. It would
be nice to be able to have the benchmark suite usable on the latest code
base. It is of course useful to be able to run it on update releases too
but I'm less interested in that.

-Alan