New candidate JEP: 408: Simple Web Server

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Wed Mar 31 12:01:37 UTC 2021

On 31/03/2021 12:24, Mark Rotteveel wrote:
> On 30-03-2021 19:10, Alex Buckley wrote:
>> All of the com.sun namespace is JDK-specific -- it's not part of the
>> Java SE Platform API.
>>
>> Around 90% of the com.sun namespace is internal to the JDK -- not
>> intended for use outside the JDK. An example is the
>> com.sun.security.ntlm package in the java.base module.
>
> I think you need to qualify this to prevent confusion, because there
> are libraries that also use the com.sun namespace that are not part of
> the JDK, so are not JDK-specific nor internal only, e.g.
> https://github.com/java-native-access/jna, the reference
> implementation of JakartaMail (JavaMail).

The com.sun name space wasn't used exclusively by the JDK. The
implementation of several Java EE and standalone technologies had
implementation classes in the com.sun name space too.  I don't know the
history of JNA to know why it has classes in this name space but it's
probably not interesting here.

 From what I can tell, the original question about the com.sun name
space here just missed it that the com.sun.net.httpserver API has
existed since JDK 6. The JEP doesn't want to break existing usages of
that API, instead it is focused on providing an entry point to its
module to make it super easy to have a HTTP file server in the dev
environment and some modest API additions to make it easy to do the same
programmatically.

-Alan