New candidate JEP: 408: Simple Web Server

Alex Buckley alex.buckley at oracle.com
Wed Mar 31 15:26:26 UTC 2021

On 3/31/2021 4:24 AM, Mark Rotteveel wrote:
> On 30-03-2021 19:10, Alex Buckley wrote:
>> All of the com.sun namespace is JDK-specific -- it's not part of the
>> Java SE Platform API.
>>
>> Around 90% of the com.sun namespace is internal to the JDK -- not
>> intended for use outside the JDK. An example is the
>> com.sun.security.ntlm package in the java.base module.
>
> I think you need to qualify this to prevent confusion, because there are
> libraries that also use the com.sun namespace that are not part of the
> JDK, so are not JDK-specific nor internal only

Thank you. Given the sprawling nature of com.sun APIs in the JDK and the
confusion I sometimes see between com.sun and sun.misc, I wanted to make
easy-to-remember statements about the dominant com.sun container on the
planet -- the JDK. Around 90% of the com.sun namespace in the JDK is for
internal use by the JDK, while around 10% is supported for external use.

Let's reiterate:  The sun.misc package was not removed in JDK 9, nor
strongly encapsulated. It was available in JDK 9 just like in JDK 8. It
continues to be available in JDK 11 and JDK 17.

Alex