jpackage and launcher-as-service parameter

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 18:51:55 UTC 2022

I read the documentation for jpackage and found the
|--launcher-as-service |option. The documentation states: "Request to
create an installer that will register the main application launcher as
a background service-type application." But that is everything i could find.

How is this supposed to work? From my understanding each service
provides a mechanism to be started and stopped.

I assume that the starting mechanism is the typical main(...) method and
not some implementation of a "Service" interface.

But how does the stopping work and how is a service supposed to do an
orderly shutdown?