Proposal: Update verifier errors to be less cryptic

- - 4evnyuij at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 19:21:37 UTC 2023

Hello all,

I've recently stumbled across a certain verifier error while doing some
bytecode experiments: "Bad lookupswitch instruction". Errors like this are
sadly very common in the verifier, and don't give a lot of detail about
what actually has gone wrong. In this case, the error was related to the
keys of the lookupswitch not being sorted in ascending order.

So here's the proposal: Change the error messages in the verifier to tell
more about what has actually gone wrong.

I'd be willing to implement those changes myself, but I don't have any
previous contributing experience when it comes to OpenJDK projects. Would
this be a big enough change to actually warrant working on it, and how
would I proceed with that?

I hope to hear feedback from you.

Cheers,
Constantin