Porting changes between JDK 9 and JDK 8u

Chris Hegarty chris.hegarty at oracle.com
Mon Aug 18 19:52:09 UTC 2014

Hi 8u Maintainers,

Now that the JEP 201: Modular Source Code [1] changes have been integrated into the JDK 9 mainline, porting changes between JDK 9 and JDK 8u will be a little more difficult. To help with this, a porting script [2] has been developed, and checked into the JDK 9 mainline, along with the source code re-organization.

I would like to propose a small change to the process for requesting ports of JDK 9 changes into JDK 8u. It may be a simple change to the Push Approval Request Template [3], or the something more elaborate in the Ground Rules [4], I'm not exactly sure. Essentially, where you typically see a backport approval request with ‘the patch applied cleanly’, you may accept ‘the unshuffled patch applied cleanly’. Where the 'unshuffled patch' is a patch that has been run through the porting script [2].

-Chris.

[2] http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~chegar/docs/portingScript.html
[3] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk8u/approval-template.html
[4] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk8u/groundrules.html