Proposal: ALPN and RSASSA-PSS APIs for Java SE 8 and JDK 8

Andrew John Hughes gnu.andrew at redhat.com
Thu Dec 12 05:05:52 UTC 2019

On 09/12/2019 10:55, Andrew Dinn wrote:
> Hi Volker/Iris,
>
> Firstly, thanks to Oracle for offering to update the JDK8u specs and
> contribute the necessary changes to re-implement the ALPN and RSASSA-PSS
> APIs.
>
> That said, I can see Volker's point here. Putting the changes into both
> 8u40 and 8u252 appears to add an extra redundant step as far as the
> OpenJDK project is concerned. Is there a reason why the 8u40 backport is
> needed? (more specifically, why does it need to be adopted as the RI?)
> Is there any reason for Oracle to do the 8u40 backport before
> backporting to 8u252 and publishing the latter changes?
>
> Of course, if the open project is provided with the relevant 8u252
> changes in a timely manner then I don't suppose the answers to the above
> questions are critical. What dominates is the project's ability to
> respond in time 1) to assimilate the ALPN and RSASSA-PSS API changes and
> 2) to add TLS 1.3 support on top of those changes. I'll leave it to
> others (including my Red Hat colleagues) who are more au fait with TLS
> and the jdk8u schedule to comment on that issue.
>
> regards,
>

> Andrew Dinn
> -----------
> Senior Principal Software Engineer
> Red Hat UK Ltd
> Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No. 03798903
> Directors: Michael Cunningham, Michael ("Mike") O'Neill

As the TLS 1.3 changes don't alter the spec, the only impetus to provide
those changes is Oracle parity and so, it may be worth pushing that into
the July CPU timeframe. It may be worth looking at what work can be done
on TLS 1.3 before the specification changes are required in order to get
a head start.

The other concern regarding the specification changes is also having the
relevant TCK changes deployed to those who have access to it. We equally
would prefer not to be in a situation where the changes are in OpenJDK
8u252, but the TCK fails without requisite updates.

Thanks,
--
Andrew :)

Senior Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

PGP Key: ed25519/0xCFDA0F9B35964222 (hkp://keys.gnupg.net)
Fingerprint = 5132 579D D154 0ED2 3E04  C5A0 CFDA 0F9B 3596 4222
https://keybase.io/gnu_andrew