jdk8u322 release and packaging

Thorsten Glaser t.glaser at tarent.de
Mon Jan 31 16:17:19 UTC 2022

On Mon, 31 Jan 2022, Severin Gehwolf wrote:

> The source repo history is different as the forest needed to be
> consolidated. I don't know how exaclty that was done.

This sounds like there’s no way to map the new structure back to
the old structure? It’s not “just” subdirectories as you wrote in
the paragraph above that?

> If you are working from sources you get a single source tarball now vs.
> from 8 previously. It should make life easier for you. YMMV.

No, it makes it MASSIVELY harder. First I need to completely rework
packaging for something totally legacy that was designed by someone
else years ago for quite more functionality than is currently used.
Then, I need to swap in aarch32 and aarch64-shenandoah, and at least
the former seems to also only publish a monorepo now, but if they are
ever going to change more than hotspot things will explode, and this
means I will also need to check *that*.

It would really be so much better if you’d made the conversion in a
reversible way and continue to push that to the old repositories. No
professional stable software does changes that profound to something
declared stable normally. And maintainers not even knowing how the
merge was exactly done (file-wise) makes me worry even more. We have
promises of stability in Debian… apparently, not in others…

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Infrastrukturexperte • tarent solutions GmbH
Am Dickobskreuz 10, D-53121 Bonn • http://www.tarent.de/