Java 9 EA 169 Webstart NoClassDefFoundError: javax/xml/ws/Service

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Tue May 16 10:14:37 UTC 2017

On 16/05/2017 09:49, Reto Merz wrote:

> Thanks Alan.
>
> Wouldn't it make sense to add all modules by default in Java 9 in case of Webstart and print
> a warning to the Webstart console the first time a future non-default module is accessed
> with the message that the JNLP must be extended with a --add-modules=moduleXY in Java 10?
>
> So all the Webstart app devs would get more time to adjust the JNLP to support Java9/10.

The proposal in JSR 379 is java.xml.ws and the other modules that
overlap with EE be deprecated (forRemoval=true) so that we can drop them
from Java SE in a future release (hopefully 10 if the JSR for Java SE 10
agrees).

So I think Java Web Start is right to align with the policy for
applications launched on the command line.

-Alan.