AW: Java 9 EA 169 Webstart NoClassDefFoundError: javax/xml/ws/Service

Reto Merz reto.merz at abacus.ch
Tue May 16 11:26:07 UTC 2017

> So I think Java Web Start is right to align with the policy for
> applications launched on the command line.

The difference is that in case of Webstart the Java version is controlled by the user.
They are trained to install the latest Java version and keep it up-to-date.
All our customers download Java via java.com
They would not understand that they should stay with an old Java version until release X of software Y is available because they have never do that before.
We use Webstart over 10 years and it is the first time we see that Oracle will break compatibility between Java N and N+1 and Oracle is already aware about it.
The issue is easy to fix because only the Webstart launcher would be affected by the changes.
This changes would give Webstart app devs more time to migrate.

I think it is wrong to compare Webstart with a classic application
and Oracle should add all SE/EE modules by default and also enable --permit-illegal-access
by default in case ob Webstart.

Regards
Reto