Input needed (Tycho & OSGi vs Maven)!

Marcus Hirt marcus.hirt at oracle.com
Mon Aug 13 10:15:45 UTC 2018

Hi all,

We have an issue that requires your input. We want to make the JMC core
libraries available at maven central. For that to work, we must make the core
artifacts independently buildable (i.e. not use Tycho to build them as part
of everything else). This will mean that the core libraries will be consumed
as part of the other third-party dependencies.

Now, since these third-party dependencies are exposed to OSGi by artifact name
only (not by group id and artifact id), we have the following alternatives:

1. Use group id: org.openjdk.jmc, artifact id: common.
   This is probably the nicest way to consume this from non-OSGi programs.
   However, from the OSGi side, this will be consumed as just common.

2. Use group id: org.openjdk, artifact id: jmc.common.
   This provides a bit of a qualifier (jmc) for OSGi programs. Uses a very wide
   group.

3. Use group id: org.openjdk.jmc, artifact id: jmc.common.
   Also provides a bit of a qualifier (jmc) for OSGi programs. Uses a less wide
   group. Will look artificial to non-OSGi programs.

4. Use group id: org.openjdk.jmc, artifact id: org.openjdk.jmc.common.
   Provides an FQN for OSGi-programs. Will look artificial to non-OSGi programs.

What do you guys think?

Kind regards,
Marcus