Advice + proposals regarding automodule naming

forax at univ-mlv.fr forax at univ-mlv.fr
Thu Jan 19 17:47:12 UTC 2017

Hi Brian,

potentially if build tools do nothing.

> The only reason Maven is introduced into the conversation is because for all the
> stuff in Central, it is a source of a sensible default for a module name,
> otherwise it's completely unrelated.

I agree that Maven Central has sensible defaults so these values can be injected into jars that are not modular.
The other solution, which do not requires any information is to create the module-info directly from the bytecodes with the caveat that dynamic dependencies (Class.forName, etc) will not be visible.

The later solution can not be done by the VM because it's slow, a build tool can do that once while the VM will have to do that everytime the application is started.

Rémi