Compiling jtreg?

Jonathan Gibbons jonathan.gibbons at oracle.com
Tue Jul 30 07:59:35 PDT 2013

On 07/30/2013 07:07 AM, Alan Bateman wrote:

> The jtreg-use list is probably the right place for this question.
>
> -Alan.
>

> On 30/07/2013 06:37, Nick Williams wrote:
>> I'm working on a patch for some core libraries (hence why I'm
>> emailing here -- hopefully someone will be sympathetic and help) and
>> need to run the JDK tests. I'm following the instructions on
>> http://openjdk.java.net/jtreg/build.html to get jtreg installed so
>> that I can run it. I have JDK15HOME and JDK16HOME set to my JDK 6
>> home directory. I have JavaHelp installed at JAVAHELP_HOME. I have JT
>> Harness installed at JTHARNESS_HOME. I have Xalan installed at
>> XALANHOME. I have JUnit installed at JUNIT_HOME. I have TestNG
>> installed at TESTNG_HOME.
>>
>> I cloned the HG repository and executed make -C make just like the
>> directions said. I get 58 compile errors: It can't find Ant, JUnit,
>> or TestNG classes. Can someone point me in the right direction?
>>
>> 1) I assume I must have to specify a classpath somehow for JUnit and
>> TestNG, even though the directions don't say so. Thoughts on how?

Hmm.  If you have set JUNIT_HOME and TESTNG_HOME that ought to do the trick.

>> 2) The instructions say Ant is optional. So why is it mandatory?

Interesting doc issue.  I'll fix it.  The use of Ant to perform the
build is optional.   But having Ant available so that you can compile
the jtreg Ant support is not optional.

>> (I didn't realize that it would take longer / be harder to get the
>> tests running than to get the JDK compiling.)

Well, at least we got the JDK build fixed OK.   :-)

I'm sorry for your issues. Until recently, we could publish binaries for
jtreg. Now, we have to rely on folk being able to build it for
themselves, which means the README and Makefiles are getting a bit more
or a workout.