Virtual extension methods -- a strawman design

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Fri May 14 16:16:57 PDT 2010

The attached document reflects our current thinking in the area of extension
methods, which was introduced in section 8 of the Strawman proposal.  This
document (arguably) improves on the static extension method scheme presented
there.

Comments on the technical merits and flaws of the scheme are welcome (there
are lots of details to be fleshed out, of course.)  Comparisons to the
previous (static) extension method scheme outlined in the strawman are also
fair game.

Comments to the effect of "I like XYZ other scheme better" are not.  (Where
XYZ could be use-site extension methods, traits, mixins, etc.  Those have
already been considered and rejected as viable approaches for Project Lambda.)