Controlling the VirtualThread.scheduler

Mark Raynsford org.openjdk at io7m.com
Mon Jul 25 13:10:28 UTC 2022

On 2022-06-07T10:33:44 +0000
Ron Pressler <ron.pressler at oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> The plan is to ultimately allow custom schedulers, but we want to first let
> the ecosystem learn about virtual threads and their uses with the default
> scheduler.

Just a "me too" in case these messages are considered when prioritizing
features. :)

A big use case I have for Loom is the same as another recent poster to
this list: I have a DSL, and I want to expose multiple threads of
control within the language without also introducing the data hazards
inherent with running multiple kernel threads. That is, I don't care
_when_ code runs, but I do care that it all happens on one kernel
thread.

I did try several of the earlier builds that exposed the ability to set
an executor service for the underlying kernel threads. I look forward
to getting something along these lines back!

--
Mark Raynsford | https://www.io7m.com