EA builds with changes to object monitor implementation to avoid pinning with virtual threads

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Thu Feb 15 09:11:10 UTC 2024

On 10/02/2024 12:24, Andrii Lomakin wrote:

> Hi Alan.
> That is cool!
>
> Does this build support file async io aka io_uring features?

The purpose of these EA builds to have builds available with the changes
to the object monitor implementation so we might get some feedback and
help testing the changes.

On file I/O, I'm not sure if you are asking about
AsynchronousFileChannel implemented on io_uring or if you are asking
about virtual threads doing file I/O using io_uring. There is a branch
in the sandbox with prototype infrastructure but it will be some time
before all the pieces can come together and properly evaluate for both
of these cases. Right now, in these EA builds, doing file I/O in virtual
thread when the file is opened with the options for synchronized I/O
file/data integrity will increase the target parallelism for the
duration of write operations. The latency of writes for these cases is
significant. For direct I/O it is both read + write operations as these
bypass the file caches.

-Alan