Review request for 7124236: [macosx] Some components lost shadows after the latest fix of translucent windows.

Dmitry Cherepanov dmitry.cherepanov at oracle.com
Fri Feb 3 04:05:21 PST 2012

Anthony Petrov wrote:
> Hi Dmitry,
>
> Major concern: is that possible to avoid modifications to the shared
> code with this fix?

I'm afraid that this is a necessary change if we want to create a
CALayer where the background is fully transparent. Also, having fully
transparent background in CALayer seems to be necessary to implement
http://java.net/jira/browse/MACOSX_PORT-764 . I'm currently trying to
come up with a fix for the native textured background and likely I'll
submit a separate review request for MACOSX_PORT-764.

> On 1/31/2012 11:04 PM, Dmitry Cherepanov wrote:
>> The cause of the problem with broken shadows is that currently
>> NSWindow's background color is [NSWindow clearColor] and it makes
>> shadows invisible. The fix implements Mike's suggestion and now we
>> draw pure transparent pixels into a CALayer so that the native
>> background color will be visible through transparent areas of the
>> CALayer.
>
> Looks like it should work fine if background's alpha is > 0 and < 255.
> And what about window.setBackground(new Color(0, 0, 0, 0))? I see that
> in CPlatformWindow we'll actually pass these zeros (which is in fact
> the same as the clearColor, isn't it?) to the native system. In this
> case I wouldn't expect any shadow to appear since the background color
> set is completely transparent. Is this correct?

I would also expect that there shouldn't be any shadow after setting
window.setBackground(new Color(0, 0, 0, 0)) and this is how it behaves now.

> Also, the bug evaluation mentions the click-through problem. Is it
> resolved with this fix?

The patch doesn't solve the click-through problem. I've spent a while
investigating this issue and there's a number of mailing threads (for
example, [1] and [2]) mentioning that OpenGL content is opaque to events.

Thanks,
Dmitry

[1] http://lists.apple.com/archives/cocoa-dev/2009/Apr/msg01945.html

[2] http://lists.apple.com/archives/mac-opengl/2010/Mar/msg00038.html