Review request for 7124236: [macosx] Some components lost shadows after the latest fix of translucent windows.

Anthony Petrov anthony.petrov at oracle.com
Wed Feb 1 08:43:07 PST 2012

Hi Dmitry,

Major concern: is that possible to avoid modifications to the shared
code with this fix?

On 1/31/2012 11:04 PM, Dmitry Cherepanov wrote:
> The cause of the problem with broken shadows is that currently
> NSWindow's background color is [NSWindow clearColor] and it makes
> shadows invisible. The fix implements Mike's suggestion and now we draw
> pure transparent pixels into a CALayer so that the native background
> color will be visible through transparent areas of the CALayer.

Looks like it should work fine if background's alpha is > 0 and < 255.
And what about window.setBackground(new Color(0, 0, 0, 0))? I see that
in CPlatformWindow we'll actually pass these zeros (which is in fact the
same as the clearColor, isn't it?) to the native system. In this case I
wouldn't expect any shadow to appear since the background color set is
completely transparent. Is this correct?

Also, the bug evaluation mentions the click-through problem. Is it
resolved with this fix?

--
best regards,
Anthony