java.library.path fix for MacOS X (7145798)

Greg Brown greg.x.brown at oracle.com
Mon Feb 20 09:32:41 PST 2012

>>> It is not just VM instantiated. It comes with full set of Java Runtime classes and libraries.
>> That is not necessarily true. It is really up to whoever creates the bundle. I could choose to embed a restricted subset of the JRE in order to reduce the app bundle size, in which case it would not contain a complete JRE.
> Alright, it might be "stripped" version of java runtime if license allows manual stripping (and then we can not use "Java" to refer to it anymore?) and you willing to strip classes out of rt.jar.
> But it is still Runtime, not just JVM. Java application need runtime to be executed.

Right. We also have a "Runtime" key in the "JavaVM" dictionary.

My point is that the launcher is basically just a Mac-specific stub for invoking JNI_CreateJavaVM(), so it makes sense to name this key "JavaVM". All of the properties in that dictionary are used in the process of launching the VM. But, as I mentioned earlier, I agree that "JavaVM" is probably not the best name for the folder - "Java" is probably better.