for review (M): 6812831 factor megamorphic invokeinterface (for 6655638)

Tobias Ivarsson thobes at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 00:12:43 PST 2009

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 2:54 AM, John Rose <John.Rose at sun.com> wrote:

> I'm pushing method handles changes to JDK7 these days.  Here's the first:
>   http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk7/hotspot-comp/hotspot/rev/56aae7be60d4
>
> The next one is imminent; see review request below.  This one refactors
> interface dispatching, so I don't need to write yet another copy of the same
> assembly code for method handles.
>
> The following one will refactor the assembly code generation of subtype
> checking logic (used in checkcast, instanceof, aastore, Class.isInstance,
> etc.).  If you want to follow this activity, you may want to lurk on
> hotspot-compiler-dev at openjdk.java.net (CC-ed).
>
> Both of the latter changes should help with interface injection
> prototyping.  (Hi, Tobias :-)

Hi John.

Updates on the prototype:
I have had to put the development of the prototype on hold due to deadlines
in the Jython project associated with PyCon.
The status is that I have implemented injection for invokeinterface. There
is still some testing to be done there and then I'll move on to the other
injection points.

But great to see that method handles are making their way into the official
JDK7.

/Tobias