Public Review

Howard Lovatt howard.lovatt at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 15:25:02 PST 2011

The new API looks great. I think all the simplifications made,
particularly around CallSite and no longer having a Bootstrap, have
really helped. The methods isWrapperInstance, wrappedInstanceTarget,
and wrapperInstanceType are nice additions to the API.

The requirement that a SAM (in MethodHandles.asInstance( ... )) must
be public and must by an interface is a bit restrictive. Could either
or both limitations be removed earlier rather than latter?

Browsing through the javadoc for java.lang.invoke I noticed the
following (nit picky things that are trivial but should be fixed
anyway):

1. Description of MethodHandle: says "// mt is { => int}", should say
"// mt is ()int"
2. Description of MethodHandle.asType(MethodType): no full stop; end
of first sentence
3. Description of MethodHandles.dropArguments(..., List<Class>) and
Description of MethodHandles.dropArguments(..., Class...) interchanged

  -- Howard.