Public Review

Rémi Forax forax at univ-mlv.fr
Sun Mar 6 15:51:38 PST 2011

Hi Howard,
thank you for your comments.

On 03/07/2011 12:25 AM, Howard Lovatt wrote:
> The new API looks great. I think all the simplifications made,
> particularly around CallSite and no longer having a Bootstrap, have
> really helped. The methods isWrapperInstance, wrappedInstanceTarget,
> and wrapperInstanceType are nice additions to the API.
>
> The requirement that a SAM (in MethodHandles.asInstance( ... )) must
> be public and must by an interface is a bit restrictive. Could either
> or both limitations be removed earlier rather than latter?

There are really few issues, we are still talking. asInstance is one of
them.
because specifying it is not that easy.
Supporting abstract class is even more tricky.
Moreover supporting abstract class requires a constructor without argument
thus make asInstance() not useful for a lot of abstract classes.

> Browsing through the javadoc for java.lang.invoke I noticed the
> following (nit picky things that are trivial but should be fixed
> anyway):
>
> 1. Description of MethodHandle: says "// mt is { =>  int}", should say
> "// mt is ()int"
> 2. Description of MethodHandle.asType(MethodType): no full stop; end
> of first sentence
> 3. Description of MethodHandles.dropArguments(..., List<Class>) and
> Description of MethodHandles.dropArguments(..., Class...) interchanged
>

>    -- Howard.

Rémi