Getting Started with OpenJDK in NetBeans IDE?

Peter B. West lists at pbw.id.au
Mon Jul 16 02:21:49 PDT 2007

Dave Bristor wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Peter B. West wrote:
>> Dave,
>>
>> I've reposted your reply to the nbusers message I posted.
>>
>> I was using NB 5.5.1. The page at
>> http://nb-openjdk.netbeans.org/get-and-build.html
>> doesn't mention that. It links to NB6M9 (not M10), but if you already
>> have NB installed you're not going to follow that link.
>
> I'll see about having the get-and-build page updated to explicitly
> mention that NB6 is required.
>
>> I've now installed M10, and the projects are visible.
>>
>> I wrote and tested (in another package space) an implementation of RFE
>> 6410729 Add BitSet.previousClearBit, previousSetBit and posted the
>> results in the JDK-collaboration/dev forum on 2007-05-06, but have had
>> no responses. I think I must be missing something in the procedure for
>> handling these things. Advice on this would be appreciated.
>
> The "contribute" page at
>     http://openjdk.java.net/contribute/
> should steer you in the right direction.  core-libs-dev at openjdk.java.net
> might be the right list.
>
>> I seem to have lost the description of setting up personal NetBeans
>> projects within JDK7. I recall a discussion of cloning and modifying one
>> of the existing projects when setting up a Java-only project, and the
>> example used was Collections. That's exactly what I need; in fact, a
>> subset of Collections. Can you point me in the right direction for doing
>> this?
>
> See
>     j2se/make/netbeans/README
> in the openjdk source bundle.

Dave,

Thanks for the input. I have followed the instructions in
j2se/make/netbeans/README an created a collections project. Note that
the collections/build.properties file included:

includes=\
    java/util/, \
excludes=\
    java/util/Calendar.java,\
    java/util/jar/,\
    java/util/logging/,\
    java/util/prefs/,\
    java/util/regex/,\
    java/util/spi/,\
    java/util/zip/,\
    **/*-XLocales.java

as per the README. However, the build failed, trying to compile
*-XLocale.java files.

I modified the "includes" to:

includes=\
    java/util/
 (i.e. I removed the trailing ", \") and the build proceeded.

Before getting to that point, and thinking I might need to do a prebuild
of j2se, I tried that from a terminal. At the moment, that build is not
working because, in spite of what the docs say, the build requires not
only the openmotif header files, but the libs as well. The openmotif
libs I have installed are too recent, so it looks as though I will have
to build a set an install them in a non-standard place if I need to
build the jdk. Haven't sorted that one out yet.

Thanks

--
Peter B. West <http://cv.pbw.id.au/>
Folio <http://defoe.sourceforge.net/folio/>