Patch for Enhancement Bug # 6313849 and 417591

Andreas Schaefer andreas.schaefer at madplanet.com
Fri May 18 08:59:34 PDT 2007

Christopher Hegarty - Sun Microsystems Ireland wrote:
> Andreas Schaefer wrote:
>
>> I also have a problem to come up with an use case of an asynchronous
>> disconnect. How would another thread knows when to disconnect. The only
>> use case I can come up with is than two threads could collide during
>> connect / disconnect and we might want to prevent the URLConnection from
>> doing so. This way we make sure that either a URLConnection is fully
>> connected or disconnected.
>
> I have seen a few cases where HttpURLConnection.disconnect has been
> called asynchronously as a way of implemeting a connect/read timeout
> in user code.
Did you know that HttpURLConnection.disconnect() method is already in
and I did not do anything with it. So if it could be done for the
HttpURLConnection why couldn't it be done for the base URLConnection?
> One such bug that comes to mind is CR 6358532. This bug was seen to be
> important enough that it was escalated by an external customer.
Again that is a problem for the HttpURLConnection and does not apply to
the others. BTW I could not find this bug.

-Andy