6642290

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at Sun.COM
Wed May 14 07:19:55 PDT 2008

Umashankar,

I've been discussing Solaris bug 6642290 [1] with Prakash. You may
recall that this is the underlying bug that causes watch keys to be
automatically cancelled on Nevada when the automounter tries, but fails,
to unmount a file system because it is in use. One of your tests runs
into this when watching files on a home directory and you've asked me
about it a few times. It looks like this isn't going to be feasible to
fix in the kernel but he has suggested a workaround that I have
implemented. The workaround has one one side effect that arises when
watching directories an automounted file systems that are otherwise not
in use. In that case, if the automounter does unmount the file system
then the re-registration in the watch service implementation will cause
the file system to be immediately re-mounted. We don't think this will
be a big problem. So assume this will be resolved for the next build.
Once you have that then you should be able to run that test for >10
minutes (automount's default idle duration). He did alert me to one
other bug that you should be aware of. The bug is 6636438 [2]. That one
needs 6651501 [3] to be implemented first. I don't plan to put in a
workaround for that.

-Alan.

[1] http://bugs.opensolaris.org/view_bug.do?bug_id=6642290
[2] http://bugs.opensolaris.org/view_bug.do?bug_id=6636438