network tests

Joe Darcy Joe.Darcy at Sun.COM
Thu May 22 18:18:17 PDT 2008

Greetings.

Recently Mark Wielaard started an effort to run the regression tests on
OpenJDK builds and publish the results
(http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/distro-pkg-dev/2008-May/001921.html).
Certain tests in the nio and networking area assume Sun-internal hosts
like javaweb are available; the shell test

    test/java/net/InetAddress/ptr/lookup.sh

has a string for javaweb and

    test/java/nio/channels/TestUtil.java

has the following constants used by other tests:

    // Test hosts used by the channels tests - change these when
    // executing in a different network.
    public static final String HOST = "javaweb.sfbay.sun.com";
    public static final String REFUSING_HOST = "jano.sfbay.sun.com";
    public static final String FAR_HOST = "theclub.ireland.sun.com";
    public static final String UNRESOLVABLE_HOST =
"blah-blah.blah-blah.blah";

Mark observed these three hosts are needed:
> With daytime and echo available. The only wrinkle is that some tests
> expect to be able to use quick timeouts from HOST, but to need long
> timeouts from FAR_HOST. I think we could provide something public for
> this. But I might have missed some tests that need other services. Do
> you have a full overview?
(http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/distro-pkg-dev/2008-May/001972.html)

First, is this all the networking configuration information that is used
in the regression tests?  Second, it would be helpful is this host
information could be configured without changing the sources of the test
each time.  I've spoken briefly to Jon about ways this kind of
information can be passed into a jtreg run.  Environment variables can
be used, as can system properties.  A system property could also be used
to specify a file from which the information was read.  With a bit of
jtreg hacking, it is feasible portions of the jtharness interview
procedure could be exposed to configure information that way too.

-Joe