Java NIO on PVFS or Lustre

Ammar Ahmad Awan ammar.ahmad.awan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 23:44:52 PDT 2012

Dear All,

I am working on a research project and I want to evaluate Java NIO's
performance on different file systems. As far as I know, Java NIO
directly maps to the native file system calls but looking at the
source code of NIO or Java I/O classes, I cannot find out where and
how is the implementation checking platform specific optimizations.
For example, there is a directory specific to Windows, Linux or Mac
but I am not sure what will be the behavior of Java I/O operations
when the underlying file system is not Windows or Linux or Solaris but
it is Lustre or PVFS2 or any other parallel file system.

Looking forward to hearing from the developers on this list.

Kind Regards
-- Ammar