Java NIO on PVFS or Lustre

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Wed Jul 11 02:19:16 PDT 2012

On 04/07/2012 07:44, Ammar Ahmad Awan wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am working on a research project and I want to evaluate Java NIO's
> performance on different file systems. As far as I know, Java NIO
> directly maps to the native file system calls but looking at the
> source code of NIO or Java I/O classes, I cannot find out where and
> how is the implementation checking platform specific optimizations.
> For example, there is a directory specific to Windows, Linux or Mac
> but I am not sure what will be the behavior of Java I/O operations
> when the underlying file system is not Windows or Linux or Solaris but
> it is Lustre or PVFS2 or any other parallel file system.

The implementation is just using syscalls or library functions to access
the file system, it doesn't do anything special for Lustre or other file
systems. So it may be that your tests turn out to be tests for the file
system implementation/driver rather than for the JDK. If you are
publishing benchmarks or results then please send a link as I'm sure
folks here would be interested.

-Alan