JDK-8195974: Replace use of java.util.logging in javafx with System logger

Nir Lisker nlisker at gmail.com
Thu May 3 01:25:09 UTC 2018

> Not sure what you mean by "that file".

Sorry, I meant the log/config file.

keeping the verbose flag but putting it on a System property

Then why not get a minimum level from a system property instead of a
general on/off flag?

Also, why is webkit.mediaplayer special in its usage of the logger (that it
requires its own property)?

- Nir

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 3:31 AM, Kevin Rushforth <kevin.rushforth at oracle.com>
wrote:

> inline
>

> On 5/2/2018 4:52 PM, Nir Lisker wrote:
>
>> Thanks Murali,
>>
>> I won’t suggest reading level value from log/config file.
>>

>> Is that file user facing? If so, wouldn't ignoring the level set in the
>> file break current behavior? Would there need to be follow-up changes to
>> this file to remove the level setting from it?
>>

> Not sure what you mean by "that file". The WCMediaPlayer file? No, it
> isn't user-facing. Or did you mean something else?
>
> About option (a), wouldn't removing the verbose flag (After changing INFO
>> to FINE) cause all the log messages to appear by default, as you've stated
>> in the first point, and we want to avoid that? We don't have a minimum log
>> level setting.
>>

> By default the log level for all loggers is set at INFO -- thus the
> suggestion to change all of the INFO messages to FINE, which will not be
> logged by default. If we still end up with a bunch of extra WARNING or
> SEVERE log messages from from ordinary situations, then that would be a
> problem. Given that the implementation of WCMediaPlayer produces "noisier
> than typical" INFO log messages, it wouldn't surprise me that some of the
> WARNING log messages are things that the user shouldn't necessarily be
> warned about.
>
> In any case, the second suggestion of keeping the verbose flag but putting
> it on a System property might be less intrusive. And like the current
> solution, puts the control in the hands of the user.
>
> -- Kevin
>

> -Nir
>>

>> On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 11:21 PM, Murali Billa <murali.billa at oracle.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Nir,
>>>

>>> 1)      Regarding “verbose” flag usage:
>>>
>>> ·         Currently verbose flag is used to show log Levels
>>> (FINER/FINE/INFO/WARNING) in WCMediaPlayer & WCMediaPlayerImpl.  I feel
>>> it is not desirable to remove this flag as all these logs will start
>>> appearing now by default.
>>>
>>> ·         We can try 2 options:
>>>
>>> a)       1st Option: We can change all INFO log messages to FINE  under
>>> verbose flag (by leaving all log messages that use Level other than INFO
>>> unchanged) and verbose flag can be removed.
>>>
>>> b)      If 1st option results in too much noise for WARNING log messages,
>>> then we can keep the verbose flag and introduce a System Property (for
>>> ex:
>>> javafx.web.verbose) to enable the flag. I won’t suggest reading level
>>> value