RFR: 8332895: Support interpolation for backgrounds and borders [v3]

Andy Goryachev angorya at openjdk.org
Fri Aug 2 16:13:37 UTC 2024

On Fri, 2 Aug 2024 01:39:11 GMT, Michael Strauß <mstrauss at openjdk.org> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> `Background` and `Border` objects are deeply immutable, but not interpolatable. Consider the following `Background`, which describes the background of a `Region`:
>>

>> Background {
>>     fills = [
>>         BackgroundFill {
>>             fill = Color.RED
>>         }
>>     ]
>> }
>>

>> Since backgrounds are deeply immutable, changing the region's background to another color requires the construction of a new `Background`, containing a new `BackgroundFill`, containing the new `Color`.
>>
>> Animating the background color using a CSS transition therefore requires the entire Background object graph to be interpolatable in order to generate intermediate backgrounds.
>>
>> More specifically, the following types will now implement `Interpolatable`.
>>
>> - `Insets`
>> - `Background`
>> - `BackgroundFill`
>> - `BackgroundImage`
>> - `BackgroundPosition`
>> - `BackgroundSize`
>> - `Border`
>> - `BorderImage`
>> - `BorderStroke`
>> - `BorderWidths`
>> - `CornerRadii`
>> - `Stop`
>> - `Paint` and all of its subclasses
>> - `Margins` (internal type)
>> - `BorderImageSlices` (internal type)
>>
>> ## Interpolation of composite objects
>>
>> As of now, only `Color`, `Point2D`, and `Point3D` are interpolatable. Each of these classes is an aggregate of `double` values, which are combined using linear interpolation. However, many of the new interpolatable classes comprise of not only `double` values, but a whole range of other types. This requires us to more precisely define what we mean by "interpolation".
>>
>> Mirroring the CSS specification, the `Interpolatable` interface defines several types of component interpolation:
>>
>> | Interpolation type | Description |
>> |---|---|
>> | default | Component types that implement `Interpolatable` are interpolated by calling the `interpolate(Object, double)}` method. |
>> | linear | Two components are combined by linear interpolation such that `t = 0` produces the start value, and `t = 1` produces the end value. This interpolation type is usually applicable for numeric components. |
>> | discrete | If two components cannot be meaningfully combined, the intermediate component value is equal to the start value for `t < 0.5` and equal to the end value for `t >= 0.5`. |
>> | pairwise | Two lists are combined by pairwise interpolation. If the start list has fewer elements than the target list, the...
>
> Michael Strauß has updated the pull request incrementally with two additional commits since the last revision:

Thank you for this contribution!

This is the second batch of code review comments.  Will probably have more after testing.

modules/javafx.graphics/src/main/java/javafx/scene/paint/Stop.java line 162:

> 160:         // re-allocating when we run out of space. In general, we expect the size of stop lists
> 161:         // to be quite small (a single-digit number of stops at most).
> 162:         Stop[] stops = new Stop[firstList.size() + secondList.size()];

are there unit tests to cover most of the scenarios, at least using short sequences?

modules/javafx.graphics/src/test/java/test/javafx/scene/paint/StopListTest.java line 264:

> 262:                 new Stop(1, color2)),
> 263:             res);
> 264:         }

Do you think any other combinations should be added, for completeness sake?

For example, let's consider two lists with 2 points each.  We might want to test scenarios:

--
     --

--|
  |--

---
 ---

----|
 ---|

------
  --

  |-----
  |--

  |---|
  |---|

    |--
  --|

     ---
--

and also have the two lists swapped maybe?

what do you think?