RichTextArea: API Review

Andy Goryachev andy.goryachev at oracle.com
Fri Aug 2 19:41:00 UTC 2024

Dear fellow developers:

Thank you for the early feedback on the RichTextArea proposal [0].

We are moving to the next phase by submitting the public pull request [1].  The main goal is to include the new control in an incubating module [8], hopefully in jfx24, as a means of putting non-final API in the hands of developers while the API and implementation progress towards either finalization or removal in a future release.

For your convenience, two test applications are provided - RichTextAreaDemoApp and CodeAreaDemoApp which demonstrate the new controls with a number of different models.  In addition to these two testers, please check out a simple standalone rich text editor application, RichEditorDemoApp,

We would encourage anyone - the javafx developers, and especially the application developers, to take a look at the public API [3].  It's probably less important at this stage to do a deep code review of the implementation, but we would certainly appreciate and welcome your code review comments.

Thank you in advance,

-andy

[0] Proposal: https://github.com/andy-goryachev-oracle/Test/blob/main/doc/RichTextArea/RichTextArea.md

[1] Pull request: https://github.com/openjdk/jfx/pull/1524