RichTextArea: API Review

Nir Lisker nlisker at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 12:03:35 UTC 2024

My questions are similar to the ones in the previous discussion, but now I
can be more specific.

I see a list of "building blocks" in
https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8300569, which I like. Specifically,
two types of building blocks additions are important as I see it: rich
text-specific ones like document models and a way to add decorations/colors
etc., and the split of controls in general into skin/input/behavior (on
which there has been a long discussion). My questions are:

1. If these are provided to the user, how difficult is it for them to
compose a RTA? JavaFX doesn't provide some somewhat-common controls that
you see in various other libraries with the reasoning that the library
should give the user the ability to create their own controls (which is not
so easy right now). Is RTA an exception, like ColorPicker and DatePicker?
2. Can these building blocks be used to enhance existing controls? For
example, to help with TextArea's performance with long texts, or allow rich
text-like features in other controls, like the squiggly red line under the
text in a TextField?
3. As also mentioned in the proposal, there are already 3rd party RTAs -
RichTextFX and Gluon's. Does the proposed RTA offer more than these
(besides the ease of use by being in JavaFX)? Do the building blocks of
these offer advantages that the proposed building blocks don't? An abstract
test that can be done is to see if these controls can be "retrofitted" with
the proposed new building blocks (no need to actually rewrite the code). If
not, it could hint to an incompatibility or a limit of the proposal that
makes it less appealing.

Thanks,
Nir