RFR: 8325445: [macOS] Colors are not displayed in sRGB color space [v5]

Kevin Rushforth kcr at openjdk.org
Sat Aug 3 16:10:38 UTC 2024

On Thu, 1 Aug 2024 19:51:09 GMT, Martin Fox <mfox at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> When drawing to the screen JavaFX is producing sRGB colors but on macOS that’s not necessarily what the user is seeing. Since the pixels are not tagged as sRGB the OS is copying them unmodified to the frame buffer to be displayed in the screen’s color space. In general Mac’s don’t default to sRGB so the colors will be wrong. The fix for this is a one-liner; we just need to declare that our CALayer uses the sRGB color space so the OS will convert it to the screen’s space (presumably with a slight performance penalty).
>>
>> In the reverse direction the Robot should be returning sRGB colors. The getPixelColor calls were making no conversion. The getScreenCapture calls were converting to genericRGB, not sRGB, and so the results didn’t match the getPixelColor calls. This PR fixes these bugs; getPixelColor and getScreenCapture both return sRGB.
>>
>> Now that everything is working in the same space when JavaFX writes out a pixel and then reads it back in the colors should match within a limited tolerance (due to rounding issues when converting from float to int and back). But that just means the various glass code paths are using the same space to perform conversions, not that it’s sRGB. AWT is color space aware and so the automated test employs an AWT Robot to double-check the results.
>>
>> I swept through the rest of the Mac glass code and found a few places where colors were being converted to deviceRGB instead of sRGB e.g. when reading colors for PlatformPreferences or creating images for drag and drop. I could not think of a good way of writing automated tests for these cases.
>>
>> I started investigating this since Robot tests were failing unless the monitor’s profile was set to sRGB. Unfortunately this PR doesn’t entirely fix that. My monitor uses Display P3 and I’m still seeing failures on the SwingNodeJDialogTest. The test writes out pure BLUE colors and gets back colors with a surprising amount of red. I’ve verified that this has nothing to do with JavaFX, it happens when I use CoreGraphics to make the sRGB => Display P3 color conversions directly. I guess this is a cautionary tale about what happens when you work near the edges of a color space’s gamut.
>
> Martin Fox has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   Review feedback: floating point precision in test, ensure unsigned int handling in Robot

The code changes all look good. Everything looks good on macOS. I finished all my testing, including testing with the metal pipeline.

The only thing needed is a timeout value on one of the tests to avoid hanging on Linux when running with a Wayland display server. I'll approve once you make that change.

tests/system/src/test/java/test/robot/javafx/scene/SRGBTest.java line 218:

This test needs a timeout value to avoid hanging the test job on Linux with Wayland. See [JDK-8335468](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8335468). I recommend:

    @Test(timeout = 15000)