Windows on ARM

Maurizio Cimadamore maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com
Wed Aug 14 10:37:23 UTC 2024

Hi Manuel,
Windows/ARM is not a combination provided by Oracle.

That said, FFM supports Windows/ARM. So, assuming you can get your hands
on a build, it will work.

Quoting from the JEP:

> While the |Linker| interface is neutral with respect to calling
> conventions, the native linker is optimized for the calling
> conventions of many platforms:
>
>   * Linux/x64
>   * Linux/AArch64
>   * Linux/RISC-V
>   * Linux/PPC64
>   * Linux/s390
>   * macOS/x64
>   * macOS/AArch64
>   * Windows/x64
>   * Windows/AArch64
>   * AIX/ppc64
>
> The native linker supports the calling conventions of other platforms
> <https://github.com/libffi/libffi#supported-platforms> by delegating
> to |libffi| <https://github.com/libffi/libffi>.

So, in principle, every platform/OS combination should work - sometimes
they will be supported directly (and Windows/ARM is one such case).
Other times, you will use the fallback linker, which will be slower, but
fully functional.

Hope this helps.
Maurizio