Early Access Build Test Results

Stuart Marks stuart.marks at oracle.com
Sun Jan 13 23:36:29 PST 2013

On 1/11/13 2:54 PM, Jonathan Gibbons wrote:
> I suggest there should be a new test/Makefile target for "run all recommended
> tests in a single jtreg run".

I think this would be ideal. Implicitly, then, Balchandra's script would just
invoke this makefile target, as would other internal build/test systems. This
would eliminate copying of information about these targets out of the Makefiles
into external scripts, where they'll inevitably get out of date.

I say this is ideal, but this is probably more difficult to achieve than one
might think. Not impossible, but probably somewhat tedious.

The "test sets" are defined redundantly in *two* properties files,
TOP/make/jprt.properties and TOP/jdk/make/jprt.properties. They are mostly the
same, though there are some small differences. I'm not sure if that's
intentional. Note also that these aren't plain properties files; they use some
kind of variable interpolation and string substitution syntax I'm not familiar
with.

Then, there are the makefiles. Oh, the makefiles. Mainly, they are
TOP/test/Makefile, TOP/jdk/test/Makefile, and TOP/langtools/test/Makefile. (I
don't know how the JVM tests are invoked; probably TOP/hotspot/test/Makefile.)

It looks to me like each of the Makefiles defines several individual test
targets, each of which invokes a run of jtreg. Most of these are in the jdk
repo. There seem to be targets that invoke "all" of the tests (but not test
sets), but I think the "all tests" target just depends on the individual
targets, so it'll still invoke jtreg once for each individual target.

Some cleaning up and rearrangement is called for here. There is some
redundancy, but it would be preferable to have all the redundancy within files
in the forest (as painful as it is) than to have redundant information copied
into external scripts.

In short, it's a mess.

s'marks