Early Access Build Test Results

Stuart Marks stuart.marks at oracle.com
Tue Jan 15 18:58:39 PST 2013

Jon,

I (somewhat) agree! :-)

The current state of affairs is as you say, merely an artifact of our internal
build system. It would indeed be preferable for Balchandra to gather up the
right set of tests and run them in a single run of jtreg.

The problem is that there is some information encoded in the makefile targets
that would be lost if that were done. It's not just the lists of directories.
Some of the targets run the tests in othervm mode, and some in agentvm mode.
Some of the targets call a SharedLibraryPermissions macro that does some magic.
(Hm, see big comment at line 670 of jdk/test/Makefile.) The makefile targets
also invoke jtreg with a specific set of options, including using the problem
list as the exclude list.

I'd like to avoid having this information extracted from the makefiles and
copied into external scripts somewhere. They'll eventually diverge, resulting
in confusion.

Ideally there would be some makefile hackery to emit this information in a form
directly usable by outside scripts, but that will take some time.

Maybe some of the information could be extracted manually and placed into the
repo itself, in a fashion that external scripts can use. This is kind of like
the duplication between jprt.properties and the makefiles. This is unpleasant,
but at least it confines the duplication to be within the repo.

Meanwhile, in the short term, it might be possible for Balchandra to invoke the
17(!) different makefile targets and merge the results. This is also
unpleasant, but if it's not too much trouble, it might be reasonable to do. On
the other hand, if it turns into a real pain for some reason or another, maybe
we needn't bother.

s'marks