Discuss the RISC-V OpenJDK11u port

Xiaolin Zheng yunyao.zxl at alibaba-inc.com
Fri Feb 17 07:53:59 UTC 2023

Hi team,
We would like to discuss the RISC-V OpenJDK11u port.
Currently seems no one claims this port yet, and it would be a pleasure for us if we (from Alibaba) could take the backporting work.
We have a backport [1] [2] on Alibaba Dragonwell11 (downstream of our OpenJDK11) that works fine currently, though backported from the initial load of the riscv-port repo [3] at the beginning of the last year. We are currently thinking of contributing that to the upstream, despite that various polishing, patch splitting, and further backporting to meet the requirements of backports are needed. So obviously it is not a "ready-to-go" one like the 17u port [4] by Yadong.
Some challenging parts might be the differences between the gaps in 11u and 19 and above. For example, on 11u we do not have a VecA implementation, yet, the RVV vector extension in the RISC-V backend [5] in the mainline needs it. The VecA implementation may look currently unlikely to get permission to backport since the changes [6] in shared code. Without VecA, C2 vector intrinsics and the VectorAPI-related code may not work, but intrinsics using vector registers directly could work as expected, like `StubGenerator::copy_memory_v`.
Looking forward to further discussions.
Best Regards,
Xiaolin
[1] https://github.com/alibaba/dragonwell11/commit/959fa35e24714f63c9e8d835268e3a9aef898a22 <https://github.com/alibaba/dragonwell11/commit/959fa35e24714f63c9e8d835268e3a9aef898a22 >