[riscv-port-jdk17u:riscv-port] RFR: 8290496: riscv: Fix build warnings-as-errors with GCC 11

Fei Yang fyang at openjdk.org
Tue Feb 28 08:50:55 UTC 2023

On Tue, 28 Feb 2023 07:47:58 GMT, Vladimir Kempik <vkempik at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Please review this backport to riscv-port-jdk17u.
>> Backport of [JDK-8290496](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8290496). Applies cleanly.
>>
>> Build without --disable-warnings-as-errors after this fix passed on unmatched board with GCC11.
>
> Your backport is clean so it doesn't need a review.
> However, the process is not clear yet: who would approve backports in this project ? how to request approval ?
> Also, Can anyone, who is already reviewer in jdk-updates-project become reviewer in riscv-port-jdk17u ?
>
> This Qs is not for @DingliZhang , but general one

@VladimirKempik

Here is what I am think about the backporting work flow for this repo.
Since we are not upstreamed yet, I think we could follow a simplified workflow here. In fact, if you look at other projects like Lilliput or ZGC, they also follow a rather simplified flow for PR integration. In these cases, Committers could also do code reviews [1] and you don't even need a JBS issue for creating a PR [2].

Here in our case for riscv-port-jdk17u repo, I am not expecting uses of labels/comments on the JBS issue for request approvals, which is required by the upstreaming backporting flow.  I think it's better to do that (like marking the JBS issues for requesting maintainer approvals) when we do the final upstreaming to jdk17u-dev repo.
So any people who are familar with the riscv port could review a PR for riscv-port-jdk17u repo. When a backporting PR for this repo is clean or is fully reviewed, I could help do the final integration. I am open to other suggestions.

[1] https://github.com/openjdk/lilliput/pull/67
[2] https://github.com/openjdk/zgc/pull/1