[security-dev 00231]: Re: X509KeyManager alias choice based on temporary socket

Bruno Harbulot Bruno.Harbulot at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Jul 9 16:05:25 UTC 2008

Hello Andrew,

I'm not sure I understand the workaround. I don't think there is any.

I want to be able to choose the alias in the X509KeyManager based on the
IP address on which the server socket is bound.

There are several sockets in the same application bound to different
addresses (for example 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2, 127.0.0.1, each having a
different host name). All these addresses are local, and binding a
socket to a particular IP address rather than the wildcard address
(0.0.0.0) works fine.

What I want chooseServerAlias() to know is which of these addresses is
used, in order to pick the appropriate certificate (since the
certificate name has to match the host name and these IP addresses have
distinct host names).

Choosing a certificate based on which IP address the socket will accept
connections on is currently impossible because the temporary socket
isn't initialised with any local address (or port) information, which is
already available at that stage (since it initialised either in the
constructor or within bind(), before an accept()).

If SSLSocketImpl wasn't final, something along these lines would
probably work:

    SSLSocketImpl tmp = new SSLSocketImpl(sslContext, useServerMode,
       enabledCipherSuites, doClientAuth,
       enableSessionCreation, enabledProtocols) {
          public SocketAddress getLocalSocketAddress() {
             return SSLServerSocketImpl.this.getLocalSocketAddress();
          }
    }

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to pass on this local
address/port information using this way of constructing the temporary
SSLSocketImpl, and there doesn't this to be a way to set this
information afterwards.

A fix would require a way to set up the local address/port in the tmp
SSLSocketImpl, either by having a constructor that supports this feature
or a setter afterwards (probably less good, there's a good reason why
there no setLocalSocketAddress() method).

Best wishes,

Bruno.