[security-dev 00507]: Re: SSLContextFactory

Bruno Harbulot Bruno.Harbulot at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Jan 22 07:56:58 PST 2009

Hi Xuelei,

Thanks for looking into this.
I agree with you, everything that's required is already in the JavaSE
API. I find, however, that using these classes requires a careful
reading of the JSSE ref. guide and the Certification path ref. guide,
both of which are rather long and non-trivial (at least to me). I
suspect many developers don't have time to get into such a depth of details.

One of the use-cases that was the motivation for PKIXSSLContextFactory
in jSSLutils was to be able to add CRLs quite easily. Thus, you get
something like this:

PKIXSSLContextFactory sslContextFactory =
     new PKIXSSLContextFactory(keyStore, "keypassword", trustStore);
sslContextFactory.addCrl("http://ca.example.org/root-crl");
sslContextFactory.addCrl("http://ca.example.org/intermediate-crl");
SSLContext sslContext = sslContextFactory.buildSSLContext();

It's true that it's not possible to cover all cases, but I would guess
that there is small set of cases that are more frequent (such as adding
CRLs explicitly).
Even some high-profile projects don't necessarily handle this case, or
haven't been doing it for a long time (for example, as far as I can see,
CRL support was added to Tomcat only in 2006, and it accepts only one
CRL file).

I was only suggesting that an SSLContext factory be added to the main
API because it seems that a few projects create their own (named one way
or another). Having an SSLContextFactory interface and perhaps a default
PKIX-based implementation (or following the default value) that would
take a keystore and truststore (or fall back to either default values)
might help harmonise the practice amongst various projects (such as
Tomcat, Grizzly/Glassfish, Jetty, Restlet, ...).

This being said, perhaps the main Java API isn't the right place for
this. It can be in a separate library indeed.

Best wishes,

Bruno.