Code review request, 7106773: 512 bits RSA key cannot work withSHA384 and SHA512

Weijun Wang weijun.wang at oracle.com
Wed Jan 11 09:50:53 UTC 2012

Hi Andrew

Take a brief look at the webrev. Looks like this Lengthable thing is the
only change after your previous webrev. Please confirm.

But I want something bigger. I would like to know if it is possible to
add this keysize() method deep down into the very basic Key interface.
If Key can have a method called getEncoded() I think this means it
normally has a concrete form and surely has a publicly acceptable
keysize() attribute. In JDK 8 we have default implementation for new
interface methods. Is this issue a good candidate?

At least, in KeyLength::getKeySize(), I would like to see "if (key
instanceof Lengthable)" to be the first check, and, if possible, the
only one needed, at least for keys from providers built in JDK.

Thanks
Max