Code review request, 7106773: 512 bits RSA key cannot work withSHA384 and SHA512

Xuelei Fan xuelei.fan at oracle.com
Wed Jan 11 10:55:47 UTC 2012

On 1/11/2012 6:42 PM, Weijun Wang wrote:

> On 01/11/2012 06:02 PM, Xuelei Fan wrote:
>> On 1/11/2012 5:50 PM, Weijun Wang wrote:
>>> Hi Andrew
>>>
>>> Take a brief look at the webrev. Looks like this Lengthable thing is the
>>> only change after your previous webrev. Please confirm.
>>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> But I want something bigger. I would like to know if it is possible to
>>> add this keysize() method deep down into the very basic Key interface.
>>> If Key can have a method called getEncoded() I think this means it
>>> normally has a concrete form and surely has a publicly acceptable
>>> keysize() attribute. In JDK 8 we have default implementation for new
>>> interface methods. Is this issue a good candidate?
>>>
>> As Key is an java interface, we may not be able to add one more method
>> for compatibility reason. We may export the "Lengthable"/"Measurable"
>> interface in JDK 8. It's possible to implement Lengthable in all
>> sub-classes of Key in Oracle provider, but as would involve too many
>> changes. As we need to backport this fix into JDK 7, I think we'd better
>> consider the big picture in the future.
>
> Then I think the previous webrev is enough for JDK 7, and for JDK 8, we
> simply add a new keysize() method to Key.

If we add one new method to Key interfaces. The providers based on JDK 7
and previous releases would have to update their codes so as to
implement this new method. As will result in serious compatibility issues.

It is possible that we export the "Lengthable" interface, and have
Oracle providers support this interface, and suggest other providers to
use this interfaces.

The previous webrev hurt the performance a little because of reflections.

Xuelei