Code revire request: 6966259 (was Re: Avoid PrincipalName with realm == null)

Xuelei Fan xuelei.fan at oracle.com
Thu Jun 14 09:26:28 UTC 2012

It's really confusing to mix the name of a principal and realm of a
principal in the same PrincipalName class.

For example, when printing a debug log for "sname", from the name of
"sname", I think it a name of the principal, but the output also include
the realm of the principal.

When I read the spec, I think a message should contains both Realm and
PrincipalName. But when read the code, only PrincipalName class appears
in a call of a method. Feels very strange. I have to read the
implementation carefully in order to understand the debug log and logic
of the code.

Can we make PrincipalName a pure name of a principal, without the realm
field in it? How hard to make the changes? I noticed most of the code
have the name and realm parameters at the same time, just as the krb5 v5
specification.

I can accept your current design if you won't like to make more changes.
I may be able to complete the review tomorrow.

Thanks,
Xuelei