Code Review Request for 7146728 and 7130959

Michael StJohns mstjohns at comcast.net
Thu Mar 1 14:08:58 PST 2012

Hi Brad -

The output of the DH calculation needs to preserve leading zeros.

The RFC unfortunately doesn't specify the Integer to Byte conversion primitive, but both X9.42 and the equivalent text in NIST SP800-56A  (appendix C.1) make it clear that the conversion from Integer to Byte string ends up with a Byte string of length N where N is the smallest integer where  8^N >=  the number of bits of the prime field.

Those "RAW" bytes are the input into the KDF functions and have to exactly match to get a key output value that matches.  (E.g. hash of "00 01 02 03" is different than the hash of "01 02 03" even though both represent the exact same integer).

In any event, the RFC isn't controlling - the RFC is a profile of the actual standard X9.42.

Mike